Since the September news I haven't posted much pictures of what has been done, this is why I was thinking it would be a good idea to summarize the development of these last times.
After working a lot on the map and on the buildings, I decided to make some coding by creating the inventory system and the ability to grab weapons and item on the ground spawned by the game after each alien wave. It is also possible to drop the weapons you don't want any more since you can only carry a limited number of guns, so choose smartly the weapons you want to keep !
Grab the best weapon you find and drop the less efficient
After each alien wave, a diesel can will also spawn somewhere in the map. You will have to find it before the next alien wave begin and drop it on the car. You win the game if you manage to defeat enough alien waves to collect all the cans. Grabbing the cans and dropping thema are done the same way as with the weapons, excepted that when carrying a can you run much slowly and you can not shoot, making you a vulnerable prey for the aliens !
Find and collect all the cans before the aliens come back !
I also implemented the animations and the code to be able to throw grenades at any moment, making it perfect for when you run out of ammo but still have a concentration of aliens near you !
If you need a bigger fire power for a short amount of time, use grenades !
While coding, I also created a lot of animations for the weapons (deploying, reloading, dropping, etc...) but also remade the previous old one which I wasn't satisfied with.
New animations for the hunting rifle
While developing, I also tried to make the game more popular around the net by creating a Facebook page, running a Twitter account and adding the game to the Steam Greenlight Concept (it is not yet the "real" Greenlight). So if you like my work, feel free to visit and share these links !
So what is now coming for the next update ? It's simple, the trailer ! A short video showing the best of the game and all it's features ! However, there are still a lot of work remaining before being able to start recording. It is mostly about the aliens and their behaviours, but also about some details like the boxes of ammunition, particles effects, ambient sounds, musics, finishing the last weapons, etc...
Anyway, I have overall achieved a great part of the development and I am more confident than ever about finishing and releasing this game ! Many thanks for having read this news to the end.
P.S. Sorry for the videos with no sounds, but I actually recorded these footages for short animated GIFs before realising how heavy they were in the GIF format...
If you have checked the game this last month, you may have see that I have been working a lot on modelling and I have managed to add a bunch of content which has given a great enhancement for the gameplay of The Alien Wasteland. There are now 3 detailed buildings on the map fully explorable from inside to the roof where you may found weapons and items randomly spawning through the waves of aliens.
Breaking the glass
Aliens coming from the restaurant
Combats inside the restaurant
Aliens can also get on the roof !
You can now try a lot of different tactics to resist against the aliens. By either camping on the roofs, sprinting on the desert or staying inside. You will however have to move some time to upgrade your weapon or just to escape an incoming alien boss !
While the game is playable and actually not so far from being complete, a lot of work is still remaining :
- Enhancing the artificial intelligence of the aliens - It is really stupid to see an alien blocking into a wall/corridor ! Thus, I am working hard on the AI of the aliens to make them able to reach any place from anywhere with a realistic behaviour. It is not easy because I have to think an entire system of navigation, but the goal is simple : Taking an alien from it's spawn to the player !
- Working on the weapons - While I have been busy this month with the buildings, I haven't much worked on the weapons but this is what I am going to do now. There will be 9 weapons on the game and there is actually 5 almost completed, although you can't see in the pictures but more works has to be done for the animations.
- Creating the player's character - Yes ! Right now I have only show the aliens that I have almost done, but still nothing about the main character. I have made an already good character but it is not entirely finished. I also plan to make it supporting lips and facial movement for dialogues and cinematic by using FaceFX.
- Musics - I have not really been thinking about, but this is also going to be a important job since the game will be much rhythmic. I will see what I can do to create some nice musics for.
The game inside UDK editor
Modelling the garage
So this is shortly what I plan to work on now. I have done most of the features like the weapon inventory/spawning system that are already implemented but which I may still update to fix bugs and gameplay grips.
I will be happy if you subscribe to track the game and feel free to post some comments ! Don't forget to watch out the website where I added some cool stuffs !
The Alien Wasteland has just been submitted and granted on IndieDB, but there are only screenshots and a small summary to describe the game. So before I have more materials to upload on the profile, I would like to sum up what is going on and the main steps of development of the game !
Because I am the only one developing and maintaining the game, I designed it to be short but sweet ! The game is currently in a early beta stage, because while few weapons and features are missing, the map is almost completed and can be played to the end.
So basically, while travelling a canyon desert infested of aliens, you found yourself unarmed with a car running out of fuel just near a petrol station. The goal, explore the petrol station and found all petrol cans for your car ! But the aliens have spotted you and will come in waves !
After finding the first weapon, the baseball bat, you will have to deal with the first aliens who will come in a small wave to get you, and they can come from any side of the petrol station ! After defeating the wave, a can and a more powerful weapon will spawn somewhere in the map. You will have a short break to find them, equip the weapon and pour the can on your car stuck on the road ! If you fail to, you will have to continue searching for while dealing with the next wave of aliens. There are 9 waves on the map, so to complete the game you will have to collect 9 cans !
The game is heavily based on random events, that means the alien waves will spawn on unpredictable sides, at unpredictable time and will contains an unpredictable number of aliens. However, the more you advance on the game the more it will become hard ! The most dangerous aliens will be more present during the later waves. And before introducing a new alien race into the wave, you will have to defeat an alien boss !
This is still a brief summary of the game mechanics, and some things may change through the development ! Feel free to give your feedback !
About the development of the game, right now the current challenges for me are :
- Enhance the artificial intelligence of the alien to make them smarter so they can climb on everything, use alternates path and try to surround the player !
- Add the last weapons and complete all graphics effects like muzzle flash, explosions, decals, etc...
- Improve and fix the graphics of the map like lighting and textures.
- Create the cinematic and character animations
- Finish the HUD
- Finish some gameplay elements (picking up the cans and weapons, throwing them on ground, etc...)
So this will be all for this new, I will be very interesting about your comments ! Stay tuned and don't forget to subscribe if you want to track the game and get noticed for the next updates !