After months of work and with a lot of redesigning, I have finally managed to release the beta version of the new map that I have been announcing before !
This time you will find yourself stranded on the beach of a tropical island lost in the middle of the pacific ocean.
Exploring the island, you will find a plane which may just require some attentions to be able to take off and all the things needed are in a luxurious hotel just next to the runway. Unfortunately, the aliens decided to use this hotel as their new home and won't really be friendly toward any strangers !
The map is already fully playable but there are still some things I want to enhance like the foliages, the buildings, and also tweaking the difficulty.
There is a lot of destroyable elements like the bungalows, windows, doors and pretty much all wood-based props. It is now also possible to get inside a building by breaking the door using a foot kick (with right mouse button).
I have also worked on the AI of the aliens to make them acting more realistic, like roaming on the islands, wandering inside buildings...
They may not attack you if you keep your distance and try to avoid them, but be careful because if one alien spot you all others around may start rushing you ! The aliens can of course swim and will track you under the water.
The map is still in beta version, and so this is why until I manage to finish all the remaining work, I wanted to add the map in it's current playable state to receive some feedbacks from the players !
I have added the map in a separate branch on Steam because I have rewritten a lot of code and the original map doesn't work yet with the new code !
So for now to try the new map, find the game in your Steam games library, right click on it and open Properties. Then go to beta tab and choose public_beta branch. It should download the beta and after that you just need launch the game !
If you have already played The Alien Wasteland, here are few things you may need to know before jumping into the action :
- Right click is for foot kick !
- Weapons and items are now laying on the ground instead of floating, to grab them just approach and press E on it.
- It is now possible to display the current objectives and screen indicators by pressing Tab !
- Use the big crates full of ammo to replenish your ammo stock, there are three of them in the islands.
So this will be all for this time ! Thank you for reading and feel free to let me know what you think about this map here or in the Steam forum ! steamcommunity.com/app/382080/discussions/0/523898291491614673/
Coming next : Redesigning and enhancing the Petrol Station map !
In the last news, I have been announcing the release of The Alien Wasteland on Steam and while it was quite successful, there has been a lot of controversy due to some serious bugs being showed by popular youtubers which have made the game to looks bad.
Even if I fixed these issues and updated the game right after they were discovered, I had to endure a massive flow of rage on the Steam forum despite I have explained that I am sorry for the bugs and that I have fixed them.
Anyway, it seems that the anger has somewhat vanished, and so I would like to explain what I plan to add to the game for the next coming updates.
Apart of fixing more bugs and trying to enhance the gameplay, here are the main things I plan to do :
- Adding more maps to the game with the same "survival" style but taking action in different places, with some of them having new gameplay elements like being able to drive a car, setting up barricades, interacting with human NPCs, etc...
- Adding more aliens and improving the animations and the AI of the current ones.
- Making the buildings and many objects in the maps to be destroyable by weapons and aliens.
- Making the settings to be more customisable like being able to tweak the mouse sensitivity, the sound volume, etc...
- Adding achievements and support for Steam trading cards.
- Making the game playable in Mac OS X.
- Adding a multiplayer survival mode.
- Creating a community map editor with the ability to easily install custom maps in the game and play it online.
- Overall enhancement for the graphics.
If you have a suggestion for a map or a feature feel free to post it here and I will see if I can add it to the game.
Otherwise, if you are stuck during the game or if you just want to see some gameplay footages, here is a complete walk-through in full HD of the petrol station level in day mode !
And here are some more in-game screenshots !
So feel free to try the game on Steam and to post your reviews ! Thanks for reading !
After fixing the major bugs, I have been working on tweaking the gameplay to make it much better and easier to play.
Here is the list of what has been made :
- Fixed the aliens' AI who had sometime troubles getting on roofs.
- Fixed the bug where aliens were still growling after being killed.
- Fixed the high rate of footsteps sounds when running unarmed or with the baseball bat.
- Added stamina to the baseball bat to prevent infinite smashing.
- Lowered the damage range of the baseball bat.
- Added wood crates under spawned weapons to make them more distinguishables.
- Tweaked the waves so that the aliens will come from all sides of the map during the first 3 waves.
- Lowered the friendly damages inflicted by grenades.
- Added more in-game tips.
So this will be all for this update. The game has been updated and is now solid.
There have been many critical bugs with the game right after it's launch on Steam, some of which could actually break the game !
I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused by theses bugs, it is why I have been working hard these last days to fix them and I have now updated the game.
Here is a list of the all the bugs and problems I have fixed and some features I have changed in this update :
- Fixed the weapons and items which could be duplicated and stuck in the inventory if thrown very quickly or with the wrong button.
- Fixed the event who wasn't called when the player dies, resulting in not displaying the scores and preventing to get back to the menu.
- Made possible to skip the intro scene using space bar so when you play the game again, you don't have to bother with the intro.
- Added a lot of tips to be displayed in-game to understand the gameplay mechanics.
- Aliens' ragdolls physics has been fixed, however it does still need to be improved.
- Enlarged the collision behind the car.
- Changed the controls so to drop you current weapon use RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON instead of "T", and petrol cans can be dropped using both buttons of the mouse
- You can now carry only one rifle or machine gun in your inventory, in addition of the pistol and the baseball bat.
- Edited the tutorial screen displayed at the beginning of the game
The update should apply automatically to the game, if not, try to restart Steam or to use the "Verify Intregrity of Game Cache" feature. If you have a doubt about whether or not the game has been updated, the current BuildID is 675682.
So this will be all for now, the game will continue to receive updates, especially for the aliens and their AI, and I am also planning to add achievements.
But before this, feel free to play the game and to post your review !