For the beginning of this year 2018, a new game based on Action Alien will be released named Action Alien: Prelude.
It is a return to the initial version of Action Alien back to when it was announced at Steam Greenlight in 2014 ! During the development of Action Alien, and even years after it was launched in 2015, it has received many updates and changes in its core features.
These changes were done to improve the game and make it better for people who had already bought it, but it has changed the game so much that the Action Alien of 2018 has nothing to do with the one from 2014, and this is what Action Alien: Prelude is bringing back.
The main features brought back are these ones :
- Bright and smooth graphics.
- Cans collecting gameplay.
- The petrol station map in its initial design with cinematic.
- Day and night mode.
Of course it would have been too harsh to just release the game in this state, it is why work has been done to improve the game without altering it too much, these improvements are :
- All bug fixes and patches of Action Alien from 2015 to 2017 implemented into Action Alien: Prelude.
- Added fully destructible buildings and props to the petrol station.
- Added achievements, Steam cloud, xbox-like controllers support and 4k resolution.
- A lot of tweaks on the gameplay, weapons and controls to be best fitted for the petrol station map.
The game is still being tested and enhanced but should come soon on Steam.
It will of course be available for a much cheaper price than Action Alien, and trading cards will be added as soon as possible.
Thanks for reading,
It is after almost 8 months of development that I am very glad to announce that Cyborg Arena has finally been launched as a full release !
It was after being first announced in Greenlight back in April, and Greenlit in June, that the game was released as an Early Access, in October. Since then, a lot of testing, improvements, bug fixes were done for the game to achieve this final build.
During the development of the game, more content and features were developed than what was actually announced in the early trailer. From a simple arena-based game with only few arena maps and weapons from Action Alien, Cyborg Arena has turned into a complete single player game, with a large adventure map explorable with a buggy and 4 arena maps with pickable boost bonus.
A lot of work was done for the cyborgs, especially in creating the different and distinctive animations used when they are walking, running and firing. A dynamic loadout system was also created, which gives to each cyborg a different set of headgears, armors, dresses and weapons randomly created at the beginning of each game.
Work was also done on the cyborg bosses to make them appear much more imposing than the rest of the cyborgs. They wear a heavier armor, have glowing eyes and will be harder to defeat. In the adventure map, they are a also key element of the mission, by dropping the batteries required to power up the long range antenna and send the SOS signal.
The buggy which is also a core element of the adventure map was added to give a more complete gameplay instead of simple combat sequences. It has allowed to create a larger adventure map with many paths and secret places to find. During some tests, having the buggy to pass a bump at high speed could make it fly around and land it on its roof. This is why a smart system was implemented which allows the player to bounce the buggy back to its wheels !
In an attempt to create a credible storyline and improve the narrative dimension of the game, voice acting was done for the radio communications between the commander and the soldiers, depicting their retreats after being overrun by the cyborgs.
Last but not least, to make sure the game was ready for the full release, a complete walkthrough of the adventure map was recorded which last about one hour. It does not show the arena maps but you may watch it simply to have a preview of the game, or if you already have the game but are stuck somewhere in the adventure map.
So with all these things done, the game should have a decent amount of content to leave Early Access. It will of course continue to be updated and improved in the future, but this time as an update for a full version !
Thanks for reading,
A new update has recently been added to the game which fix some flaws in the gameplay and optimise the graphics to improve the framerate during combats against the mutants.
To optimise the game, work has been done especially toward the units moving on the ground, by creating better level of details (LODs) for them. This has greatly reduced the amount of polygons rendered when fighting the large groups of mutants present in many missions.
Along the improved LODs, there has also been some work done on the code of the artificial intelligence to reduce the use of CPU when the mutants are searching for targets and are moving around the map.
While these optimisations are quite effective, more improvements will have to be done in the future to achieve the optimal framerate during the most crowded battles.
The upgrade system which could give overpowered and invincible helicopters after playing for enough time was also fixed. It will now give a more intensive gameplay after completing all the missions, rather than an unbalanced god mode which could hurt the playing experience.
An annoying bug in the Frontline Assault map was also fixed, where sometimes the action would be stuck when the assault of the allied troops was not triggered even after destroying the mutant fortifications. While this issue did not appeared on all installations of the game, many users have been reporting this on the forum, therefore the entire event system of this mission had to be rewritten and this has hopefully solved the issue.
In brief, here is the changelog for this update :
- Fixed gameplay events sometimes not being triggered in the "Frontline Assault" mission.
- Fixed the "Camp Defence" mission where too many mutants were spawning at the end, giving lag spikes and framerate issues.
- Fixed the upgrade system of the helicopters to prevent it from making the game too easy when upgrading the helicopters.
- Optimisation for the mutants infantry and vehicles.
- Optimisations for the AI.
- Added icon and game name in the game's process
- Minor improvements.
Thank you for reading. Devdan
One more arena map has been added to the game, named Scrapyard Night. It is taking place at night, inside a small scrapyard, surrounded with walls of metal sheets.
The stacks of metal scrap provide an efficient cover against the cyborgs and the terrain itself has highs denivelation giving a lot of spots to jump when cyborgs are firing.
Since the map is smaller than the others, the boost bonus are easier to find, which make possible to collect many of them in the same time and use multiple boost bonus simultaneously.
Each collected boost reset the delay of the last boost for 15 seconds, so as long as you find new ones you can keep the previous boost effects!
Improvements were also done to the game, changes list for this update :
- Added Scrapyard Night arena map.
- Fixed cyborgs on arena mode not spawning.
- Fixed the batteries dropped by cyborg bosses sometimes disappearing.
- Fixed the texture of the grenades crate.
- Fixed achievement to unlock when clearing the adventure map from all cyborgs.
- Fixed unlimited grenades boost not being removed when expired.
- Made the cyborgs more bright and distinctive.
- Improved Arena mode to be harder after a period of time.
- Lessen the time needed to survive in arena mode to unlock the arena maps achievements.
- Optimisations done for the cyborgs characters.
- Optimisations for the game menu.
- Starting a game with hard difficulty will now remove the HUD and cross-hair for a better immersion.
Hopefully the game is getting closer to leaving Early Access to reach the full release.
Thanks for reading.